We have been lucky with our weather conditions so far this year but it is officially jacket season! I say this only to remind our students and families to dress for the roller-coaster that is Indiana weather during the APDs. November is another busy month for our school. We are coming upon our first round of Mandatory State testing, scheduling classes for the second semester and many more opportunities to earn your APD hours. Make sure to read through these emails to stay up to date on important information.
Please remember that APD’s are an integral part of your enrollment at the Indiana Agriculture & Technology School. There is a verification form available to replace UP TO 50% of the school-offered APD’s, but these replacement hours ARE NOT allowed to replace ALL APD’s. If you have not been attending on average of 1 APD per week, please contact the main office to discuss your responsibility for APD attendance. Anyone shown as having no attendance at APD’s will be contacted.
This week has 3 APD opportunities! Students can choose 1, 2, or all 3 APD’s.
The November FFA Meetings will be held on Tuesday, Nov. 12th at both the Morgantown farm (9 AM-3 PM) and St. Joe College (9 AM-3 PM CST/10 AM-4 PM EST).
- The FFA Officers will split between the two meetings, and the same agenda will be covered at both (SAE’s, fundraisers, National Convention report, spring leadership contests, etc.)
- Everyone is welcome to attend, but if you are not an active FFA member, you can choose a different option this week, or can make up your hours.
- FFA members can also choose to attend the other APD’s this week.
Additional APD’s on Nov. 13th and Nov. 14th!
- Nov. 13- Take a tour of Indiana’s first 2-year junior college with an agriculture program- Ancilla College! 12:00 PM-3 PM EST
- Eat lunch in the dining hall, tour campus, visit the school farm, talk to students and professors, and learn about the degree programs offered!
- Driving directions and additional information will be emailed to those who sign up for this option.
- The FFA Forestry team should choose this option because we have a contest at Ancilla at 4:30 PM the same day.
- Nov. 14- Tour the Toyota Production plant in Princeton, IN!
- Limited to the first 30 to sign up, the tour is from 1:30-3:00 PM CST/2:30-4:00 PM EST.
Ivy Tech Agriculture Program Tours- Campus tours, classroom labs with Agriculture students and faculty, question and answer session with faculty, dual credit information. Driving instructions and additional details will be emailed for each tour after sign-ups close.
- Tuesday, Nov. 19- Columbus Campus (9 AM-12 PM EST)
- Thursday, Nov. 21- Terre Haute Campus (11 AM-2 PM EST)
- Friday, Nov. 22- Fort Wayne Campus (limited to the first 40)- This is their annual Agriculture Career Day, and includes lunch and other activities! (9 AM-1 PM)
Part 3 of your Career Exploration Project is due this week! You may send your slide(s) to Mrs. Wolfe or Mr. Wamsley (depending on your location choice). Each student will have 30 seconds to explain what career interested them the most and why. After lunch, a panel of local agriculture, technology, and aviation professionals will sit on a panel discussion to talk about preparing for those careers.
- This APD is happening at both the Morgantown farm (9 AM-3 PM EST) and the St. Joe College campus (9 AM-3 PM CST/10 AM-4 PM EST).
ASVAB Test November 19th
All ISTEP+ “re-testers” at IATS will be taking the ASVAB on Tuesday, November 19th at the 502 Event Center in Carmel, Indiana. Please arrive no later than 8:45 am. All materials will be provided. No pencils, scratch paper, or calculators are allowed into the testing room. Proctors will provide those if needed.
All “re-testers” were informed of their ISTEP+ results and the requirement to “re-test” in early August. If any student “did not pass” either the English 10 or Math portions of the ISTEP+ test, those parts of the test would need to be re-tested.
11th and 12th grade students at IATS who have not passed either the ISTEP+ English 10 or Mathematics test will be taking the ASVAB. If a student earns a composite score of 31 on the ASVAB, the test can replace the ISTEP+, so the student will not need to re-test on the ISTEP+. We hope to have the results from the ASVAB test before the scheduled December 5th ISTEP+ re-test.
Students that are required to take the ASVAB were given ASVAB preparation courses on Edgenuity. Please refer to Edgenuity for classes to help prepare for the test on November 19th.
IATS will not release individual student test scores on the ASVAB to the military. However, if there is any 12th grade student interested in taking the ASVAB for entrance into the Armed Forces, please contact Mrs. Hagen at firstname.lastname@example.org.
You can find more information about the ASVAB at http://www.military.com/join-armed-forces/asvab.
Details for November 19th ASVAB Test:
Who: ALL 11th and 12th-grade ISTEP+ Re-testers
When: Tuesday, November 19, 2019
Arrival: 8:45 am (Late arrivals will not be allowed to test after 9:00 am)
Dismissal: 11:00 am
Where: The 502 Event Centre
502 E. Carmel Drive
Carmel, In 46032
Results will be available 2 to 3 weeks after the test date.
ISTEP+ for Re-testers